Get in touch
Way to get rid of frequent acid reflux & heartburn?
Heartburn is quite frequent, affecting various people in their daily life. It is a burning sensation in the chest after eating, lying down, or bending over. The discomfort is located in the center of the chest, at the bottom of the breastbone. The pain frequently rises and spreads. In cases of frequent heartburn problems, you can consult a gastroenterologist. Also, this blog will help you to know the causes and ways to prevent acid reflux & heartburn.
What are the common symptoms of heartburn?
Heartburn often shows itself as a burning sensation in the middle of your chest, behind your breastbone. The heartburn may show the following symptoms:
- A burning sensation in your chest that might last from a few minutes to several hours.
- When you bend over or lie down, you feel pain in your chest.
- A burning sensation in the throat.
- In the back of your throat, you may notice a hot, sour, acidic, or salty taste.
- Difficulty swallowing.
What are different ways to get rid of heartburn?
Many people get heartburn from time to time. Often, there is no evident explanation why.
It is sometimes usually triggered by:
- certain foods and beverages (for example, coffee, tomatoes, wine, chocolate, and fatty or spicy meals)
- being overweight
- Anxiety and stress
- certain medications, such as anti-inflammatory pain relievers (like ibuprofen)
- A hiatus hernia – occurs when a portion of your stomach protrudes into your chest
What are the tips to get rid of heartburn?
Several over-the-counter medications, home remedies, and lifestyle changes can help when heartburn strikes. Making changes to your daily routine can also help prevent heartburn symptoms from developing in the first place.
- Consume small portions and chew them slowly – High meals cause a large amount of acid to be produced. Stuffing your stomach raises abdominal pressure and acid reflux. If you usually eat super-sized portions, cut them down by at least 20%. One of the tried-and-true heartburn cures is to eat lesser meals. Eating less helps you lose weight, which helps to alleviate discomfort even more.
If weight isn’t an issue and your portions appear to be enough, consider dividing your three meals into five or six mini-meals. Instead of a sandwich, fruit, and salad for lunch, eat only the sandwich and salad and save the fruit for later.
- Add more fiber to your diet – Fibers rich meals help you feel full, which reduces your chances of overeating, which may lead to heartburn. Fiber-rich meals also include prebiotics, which feeds probiotics, so improving gut health and gut bacteria. Gradually increase your fiber intake to achieve the dietary fiber recommendations of 25 to 35 grams per day.
- Avoid late-night eating `– You should avoid eating two to three hours before night to lower stomach acid and allow the stomach to partially empty its contents before sleeping. Because large meals create pressure on your stomach, eat a smaller meal in the evening to help prevent heartburn.
- Opt for cooked onions instead of raw – Raw onions often cause heartburn. Heartburn, acid reflux, and burping were significantly increased when raw onion was eaten alongside a meal without onions. Onion’s high fermentable fiber content may be the cause of heartburn.
Also, raw onions are tougher to digest and may irritate the esophageal lining, creating heartburn.
- After eating, stay awake – Gravity alone helps keep acid in the stomach, where it belongs, while you’re standing or even sitting. You should be done with your meal at least three hours before going to bed. This means no afternoon naps, late dinner, or midnight snacks.
- Limit alcohol intake – Alcohol generates additional stomach acid and relaxes the esophageal sphincter, both of which contribute to heartburn & acid reflux. If you have heartburn after drinking alcohol, try drinking less of it.
- Avoid foods that cause heartburn – Foods that cause heartburn to vary from person to person. Alcohol, coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa, peppermint, garlic, onions, milk, fatty, spicy, greasy, or fried foods, and acidic foods such as citrus or tomato products are examples of common foods and drinks that can cause heartburn and disturb sleep. Maintain a meal record to help you track which foods may cause heartburn.
- Maintain a healthy weight – Extra weight puts pressure on the esophageal sphincter. However, if you have too much belly fat, the pressure in your abdomen might rise to the point where the lower esophageal sphincter is forced upward, away from the diaphragm’s support. One of the finest things you can do for heartburn is maintaining a healthy weight.
- Consume mild veggies – Mild vegetables, such as lettuce, celery, cucumbers, and sweet peppers, are easy on the stomach and do not create gas. Less belching can aid in the relief of heartburn symptoms.
- Wear Loose clothes – Heartburn occurs when stomach contents move up into the esophagus, where stomach acids can burn the tissue. In other circumstances, heartburn may occur as a result of tight clothes compressing your stomach.
If that’s the case, the first thing you should do is relax your belt — or your jeans, dress, or anything else is keeping you in place.
Should I mix antacids and acid blockers to cure heartburn?
When you start taking acid blockers, your doctor may advise you to take antacids. Antacids will relieve your discomfort until the acid blockers work. If your doctor recommends an antacid, take it an hour before (or after) taking an acid blocker.
When to consult a doctor for heartburn?
Consult a doctor if you get heartburn two or more times per week and changes to your diet or eating routine haven’t helped. A gastroenterologist (a specialist who specializes in the digestive system) can run tests to determine the acidity in your stomach and whether or not regular acid reflux has caused damage to your esophagus.
GERD is frequently curable with a combination of lifestyle modifications and medication. However, chronic reflux symptoms necessitate a complete assessment by a gastroenterologist who can determine the underlying cause and discuss treatment options. You can visit a gastroenterologist in Chennai for frequent and severe heartburn issues for an accurate diagnosis.
Also Read: Which Doctor to Consult for Mouth Ulcer
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Hair Fall
Also Check: Which Doctor to consult for Back Pain
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Headache
Also Check : Which Doctor to consult for Foreskin Problem
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Burning Feet
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Hernia
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Urinary problems
Also Check: Which doctor to consult for Breast Pain
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Breathing Problems
Also Check : Which Doctor to consult for Breast Discharge
Also Check : What Foods to Eat to Cure Fatty Liver
Also Check : How to Reduce Muscle Pain in Legs
Also Check : How to Get Rid of Constipation Fast at Home
Also Check : Stroke vs. Heart Attack What’s the Difference
Also Check : Is Back Pain a Symptom of Pregnancy
Also Check : How Much Pain During Normal Delivery
Also Check : What Are the First Signs of Kidney Stones
Also Check : Which type of Delivery is Best
Also Check : What Can cause Lower Back Pain in Women
Also Check: How Long Does Facial Plastic Surgery Last
Also Check : What are the most common causes of headaches?
Also Check : What are the Symptoms of Brain Tumor?
Also Check : Is Normal Delivery Possible with cord Around Neck
Also Check : What Could be the Complications during childbirth?
Also Check : What Causes Lower Abdominal Pain in Females
Also Check: How Stem Cells used in Treatment of Cancer
Also Check : How Can I Solve my Sleeping Problem
Also Check : What Does a Heart Attack Feel Like
Also Check: How Painful is Normal Delivery
Also Check : What Are the Stages of Cancer
Also Check : Are Breast Cancer Lumps Painful
Also Check : Different Types of Brain Tumors
Also Check : What is hernia disease? is Hernia Dangerous
Also Check :What Foods Help in Sleeping
Also Check : Best Food For Digestion Problems
Also Check : Root Canal vs Tooth Extraction Which is Better
Also Check : How to relieve Chest pain due to Stress
Also Check : How Long Does a Spinal Fusion Surgery Take
Also Check: Best Food for Constipation
Also Check : What are the common complications of kidney stones?
Also Check : Can Back Pain Indicate Kidney Stone
Also Check : What are the Signs of Gallbladder Cancer
Also Check : What are the Breastfeeding Effects of women
Also Check : What Complications During Pregnancy
Also Check : What Condition Paralysis Causes
Also Check : What Level of Eosinophils Indicate Cancer
Also Check : Different Types of Blood Cancer Treatments
Also Check : What is Difference Between Kidney Pain vs Back Pain
Also Check : How many people die from Heart Disease
Also Check : What Causes Sleep Paralysis
Also Check : Can Gastritis Cause Shortness of Breath
Also Check : How to Deal With mental Health During Pregnancy
Also Check : What type of headache indicates a Brain Tumor?
Also Check : What Causes Headaches During Pregnancy
Also Check : How to Diagnose Kidney Stones
Also Check : Why am i Having Trouble Sleeping
Also check : How does cough affect the condition of Lung Cancer
Also Check : What are the Signs of Infertility in Women
Also Check : What to Eat with Upset Stomach
Also Check : How to Prevent yourself from having Paralysis
Also Check : What are common Knee Injuries
Also Check : What to Expect after Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer
Also Check : How to Reduce Back Pain
Also Check : What Can Cause Lower Back Pain in a Woman
Also Check : Most Common Gynecological Cancer
Also Check : How to Stop Frequent Urination
Also Check : What are Side Effects of Plastic Surgery
Also Check : What is the Treatment for Lung Cancer
Also Check : Advanced treatment options for Hernia Repair
Also Check : What is the Best Medicine for Lower Back Pain
Also Check : What Food is Good for Brain Tumor Patients
Also Check : What are Common Sciatica Pain Causes
Also check : Can Dehydration Cause High Blood Pressure
Also Check : What is Constipation? What Causes Constipation
Also Check : Exercises For Lower Back Pain
Also Check : How to Get rid of Leg Pain Immediately
Also Check : Is Lower Back Pain Early Sign of Pregnancy
Also Check : What can Cause Knee Pain Without Injury
Also Check : What to Eat when you have no Appetite
Also Check : What to take for Diarrhea
Also Check: Uterine Fibroids During Pregnancy
Also Check : What Causes Swollen Legs From the Knee Down
Also Check : What Causes Heartburn Everyday
Also Check : What Do Early Pregnancy Cramps Feel Like
Also Check : Why is Laparoscopic Surgery Done
Also Check : All You Need To Know About Cervical Disorder
Also Check : Do Brain Tumors Cause Headaches
Also Check : How many Kidney Transplant can a Person have
Also Check : What are the warning signs of thyroid problems
Also Check : Best Antibiotics for Stomach Infection
Also Check : How Long Does Stomach Virus Last
Also Check : How much does a kidney transplant cost in India
Also Check : Can issues with the digestive system turn serious
Also Check : How Does Lung cancer affect the lungs
Also Check : How to Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Immediately
Also Check : Can Diabetes Be Reversed
Also Check : How Does Stress Affect the Digestive System
Also Read: Different Types of Skin Diseases
Also Read : How Long to Recover From Hernia Surgery
Also Read : What Causes Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Also Read: What are the Types of Lung Diseases
Also Read: What are Mental Health Fun Facts
Also Read: What Causes Protein in Urine Mean
Also Read: How does alcohol affect Blood Pressure
Also Read : Can you Live a normal Life After Spinal Fusion
Also Read: Best Treatments for Stomach Cancer
Also Read: What is the treatment for hole in heart
Also Read: What is the Function of the Digestive System
Also Read : What Can you eat After Gallbladder Surgery
Also Read : How to Get pregnant with Blocked Fallopian Tubes
Also Read: How Much urine can a bladder hold
Also Read : Why am i Bleeding 2 Weeks After my Last Period
Also Read : What Does Blood in the Urine Indicate
Also Read : Is Vomiting a symptom of Covid in Child
Also Read : Is Stomach Infection a Big problem
Also Read : What are the Early Signs of Heart Failure
Also Read: Will Drinking Water Reduce Protein in Urine
Also Read : How to Treat Stomach Infection
Also Read : Most common cause of Acute Kidney Injury
Also Read : How Long Do Antibiotics Affect Birth Control
Also Read: What is cervical spine pain
Also Read: How Does Pregnancy Affect your Hair
Also Read: What is the best drink to Lower Cholesterol
Also Read: When Does Implantation Bleeding Occur
Also Read: Does Diabetes Cause Erectile Dysfunction
Also Read: When Does Back Pain Start in Pregnancy
Also Read : Can Obesity be a Symptom of Heart Attack
Also Read: Why Does my Back hurt while Pregnant
Also Read: What to Expect after Spinal Fusion Surgery
Also Read : What is Cholesteatoma
Also Read: How to Get Rid of Urinary Tract Infection
Also Read: How Long Does Morphine Stay in Your Urine
Also Read: How Long Can you Live on Dialysis
Also Read: What Causes Lower Back Pain in Females
Also Read: What are The Types of Sleep Disorders
Also Read: How Do you Stop your Urine From Smelling
Also Read: Is itching a sign of Liver Problems
Also Read: Should I worry about back pain in pregnancy?
Also Read: What helps with Postpartum Hair Loss
Also Read: How long do you bleed after Abortion Pill
Also Read: Why Head Injury Causes Vomiting
Also Read: Which Food Avoid During Pregnancy
Also Read: How to Reduce Cholesterol in 30 Days
Also Read: How to Cure Throat Infection
Also Read: How to remove mucus from lungs Naturally
Also Read: How to reduce Period pain
Also Read: What is the Reason for Knee Pain
Also Read: What is the success rate of IVF?
Also Read: What Causes Muscle Cramps
Also Read: Does Running Build Muscle
Also Read: How to deal with postpartum problems?
Also Read: Warning Signs of Asthma in Children
Also Read: What to eat after a workout to build muscle?
Also Read: Heart murmurs in children
Also Read: What is the aim of breast cancer awareness?
Also Read: Is Muscle milk Good for You
Also Read: How long can you live with one kidney?
Also Read: Why does my breast hurt when I press it?
Also Read: How to get a normal delivery without pain?
Also Read: What causes Stomach flu in a child?
Also Read: How Long Does it take to Digest Food
Also Read: What to Eat Before Running
Also Read: How to Relieve Buttock Muscle Pain
Also Read: What Causes Bladder Pain Without Infection
Also Read: Boost or Horlicks Which is Better
Also Read: How to Lose Fat and Gain Muscle
Also read: What to eat after vomiting during pregnancy?
Also Read: Remedies for Constipation Issues in Children
Also Read: Can a CT scan detect bladder cancer?
Also Read: Can you build muscle in a calorie deficit?
Also Read: What doctor to see for Sciatica