Get in touch
What is the Function of the Digestive System 2023 Updated
Everything you eat and drink moves through your digestive system. Healthy digestion is critical to your overall health and wellness. Your digestive system has a significant impact on how your body functions and lives your life. There are several reasons to maintain your digestive system healthy, ranging from creating energy and absorbing nutrients to impacting your mood. However, A gassy, bloated, or constipated digestive system is common and uncomfortable. Patients with digestive problems should consult a gastroenterologist for immediate solution and treatment.
What is the digestive system?
The digestive system is made up of organs that break down food in order to absorb nutrients and remove waste. These digestive organs are the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder and are connected from your mouth to your anus. The digestive system, a lengthy tube, runs from your mouth to a human being’s colon via body parts like the throat, esophagus, stomach, and small intestine.
How does the digestive system function?
Each digestive system organ plays a vital part in digesting.
- Mouth – When a person eats, the teeth break into extremely little particles. Muscles produce saliva in the cheeks and under the tongue, which coats the food and makes it simpler to chew and swallow.
- Saliva also includes enzymes, which begin the digestion of carbohydrates in the diet.
- Esophagus – The digestive system organ is the muscular tube that carries ingested food from the mouth to the stomach. A ring of muscle at the esophagus’s end relaxes to let food enter the stomach and tightens to prevent stomach contents from escaping up the esophagus.
- Stomach – Gastric juice (hydrochloric acid and enzymes) is produced by the stomach wall and breaks down proteins. The stomach churns and mixes food with gastric fluid to generate a thick, soupy liquid.
- Small intestine – Bile from the gallbladder and enzymes in pancreatic digestive juices enter the upper section of the small intestine and aid in breaking protein into amino acids and fat into fatty acids. These tiny particles and carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals are absorbed into the circulation via the small intestine’s wall.
- Due to its large folded size of around 5m, there is plenty of space to absorb. However, the small intestine’s size is just around 3.5cm in diameter. The small intestine is responsible for most of the chemical digestion of proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates.
- Pancreas – The pancreas produces digestive enzymes into the intestine, which aid in breaking down protein, lipids, and carbs. The pancreas also produces insulin, which is then released into the blood circulation. Insulin is the primary hormone in your body that regulates sugar consumption.
- Liver – The liver performs a variety of roles inside the digestive system, but its primary duty is to process nutrients taken through the small intestine. Bile from the liver is released into the small intestine and aids in the digestion of fat and certain vitamins. The liver is the chemical “factory” of your body. It converts the raw materials received by the intestine into the numerous chemicals your body requires to operate.
- Anus and large intestine – The large intestine’s lining absorbs water, mineral salts, and vitamins. Undigested fiber mixes with bacteria. That partly breaks down fiber to nourish the large intestine wall cells and keep them healthy. Feces are generated and stored in the final section of the large intestine (the rectum) before exiting the body via the anus.
Why is a good digestive system necessary?
Digestion processes your meal into nutrients that your body requires to function and live. Your body uses these nutrients for energy, overall growth, and cell repair. Furthermore, due to the significant connection between the digestive system and the brain, research has found that your digestive system can impact your mood and general mental health.
What factors aid in keeping the digestive system healthy?
Here are some suggestions for keeping your digestive systems in the best possible condition.
- Veggies And Fruits – A balanced diet is one way to keep your digestive tract healthy. One of the Healthy dietary habits to include in such a diet is fruits and vegetables. The suggested serving size differs depending on the person. Your recommended food consumption depends on your age, body type, and size. A serving of fruits or vegetables with each meal is a good habit to start, as are a couple of portions between meals. You can also Consult a gastro doctor about your recommended consumption and a balanced diet.
- Intake Fiber, Prebiotics, And Probiotics – Fiber is another important nutrient. Fiber is crucial for maintaining good health as well as improving digestion in the elderly. Prebiotics help antibiotics and fiber work better, which helps manage blood sugar levels and prevent appetite. It helps in digestion by softening stools and making bowel motions simpler. Fiber helps avoid stomach issues.
- Keep Hydrated – Another tactic to keep your digestive system healthy is to drink plenty of water and be well hydrated. Water offers several health advantages. It affects your digestive system by making food digestion and absorption simpler. It softens feces, making bowel movements simpler and preventing constipation. Drink at least a glass of water with each meal and throughout the day to support your body and prevent indigestion.
- Exercise – Consumption of food and beverages is not the only way to enhance digestive health. Regular exercise is another approach to improve your body and health. Staying active and fit has several health benefits. Exercise keeps your digestive systems healthy and your food moving and breaking down. Exercise helps keep your body and muscles healthy.
- Cut out unhealthy habits – Alcohol, smoking, and even excessive sugar and coffee can cause digestive issues, leading your body to use power, breaking down additional toxins. This prolongs and complicates digestion. Interfering with your digestive system can lead to issues like ulcers and heartburn.
When to See a doctor for indigestion?
Constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, and gas are all normal digestive issues that everyone may face from time to time. Symptoms usually improve on their own or with the use of medications. However, if your symptoms persist or worsen, you should see your health care physician. Your doctor may recommend you to a gastroenterologist in Bangalore who specializes in digestive health issues for additional examination and treatment based on your symptoms. You can use Credihealth online portal to find the best gastric issue doctor or hospital near your area.
Also Check :Which Doctor to Consult for Stomach Pain
Also Read: Which Doctor to Consult for Mouth Ulcer
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Hair Fall
Also Check: Which Doctor to consult for Back Pain
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Headache
Also Check : Which Doctor to consult for Foreskin Problem
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Burning Feet
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Hernia
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Urinary problems
Also Check: Which doctor to consult for Breast Pain
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Breathing Problems
Also Check : Which Doctor to consult for Breast Discharge
Also Check : What Foods to Eat to Cure Fatty Liver
Also Check : How to Reduce Muscle Pain in Legs
Also Check : How to Get Rid of Constipation Fast at Home
Also Check : Stroke vs. Heart Attack What’s the Difference
Also Check : Is Back Pain a Symptom of Pregnancy
Also Check : How Much Pain During Normal Delivery
Also Check : What Are the First Signs of Kidney Stones
Also Check : Which type of Delivery is Best
Also Check : What Can cause Lower Back Pain in Women
Also Check: How Long Does Facial Plastic Surgery Last
Also Check : What are the most common causes of headaches?
Also Check : What are the Symptoms of Brain Tumor?
Also Check : Is Normal Delivery Possible with cord Around Neck
Also Check : What Could be the Complications during childbirth?
Also Check : What Causes Lower Abdominal Pain in Females
Also Check: How Stem Cells used in Treatment of Cancer
Also Check : How Can I Solve my Sleeping Problem
Also Check : What Does a Heart Attack Feel Like
Also Check: How Painful is Normal Delivery
Also Check : What Are the Stages of Cancer
Also Check : Are Breast Cancer Lumps Painful
Also Check : Different Types of Brain Tumors
Also Check : What is hernia disease? is Hernia Dangerous
Also Check :What Foods Help in Sleeping
Also Check : Best Food For Digestion Problems
Also Check : Root Canal vs Tooth Extraction Which is Better
Also Check : How to relieve Chest pain due to Stress
Also Check : How Long Does a Spinal Fusion Surgery Take
Also Check: Best Food for Constipation
Also Check : What are the common complications of kidney stones?
Also Check : Can Back Pain Indicate Kidney Stone
Also Check : What are the Signs of Gallbladder Cancer
Also Check : What are the Breastfeeding Effects of women
Also Check : What Complications During Pregnancy
Also Check : What Condition Paralysis Causes
Also Check : What Level of Eosinophils Indicate Cancer
Also Check : Different Types of Blood Cancer Treatments
Also Check : What is Difference Between Kidney Pain vs Back Pain
Also Check : How many people die from Heart Disease
Also Check : What Causes Sleep Paralysis
Also Check : Can Gastritis Cause Shortness of Breath
Also Check : How to Deal With mental Health During Pregnancy
Also Check : What type of headache indicates a Brain Tumor?
Also Check : What Causes Headaches During Pregnancy
Also Check : How to Diagnose Kidney Stones
Also Check : Why am i Having Trouble Sleeping
Also check : How does cough affect the condition of Lung Cancer
Also Check : What are the Signs of Infertility in Women
Also Check : What to Eat with Upset Stomach
Also Check : How to Prevent yourself from having Paralysis
Also Check : What are common Knee Injuries
Also Check : What to Expect after Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer
Also Check : How to Reduce Back Pain
Also Check : What Can Cause Lower Back Pain in a Woman
Also Check : Most Common Gynecological Cancer
Also Check : How to Stop Frequent Urination
Also Check : What are Side Effects of Plastic Surgery
Also Check : What is the Treatment for Lung Cancer
Also Check : Advanced treatment options for Hernia Repair
Also Check : What is the Best Medicine for Lower Back Pain
Also Check : What Food is Good for Brain Tumor Patients
Also Check : What are Common Sciatica Pain Causes
Also check : Can Dehydration Cause High Blood Pressure
Also Check : What is Constipation? What Causes Constipation
Also Check : Exercises For Lower Back Pain
Also Check : How to Get rid of Leg Pain Immediately
Also Check : Is Lower Back Pain Early Sign of Pregnancy
Also Check : What can Cause Knee Pain Without Injury
Also Check : What to Eat when you have no Appetite
Also Check : What to take for Diarrhea
Also Check: Uterine Fibroids During Pregnancy
Also Check : What Causes Swollen Legs From the Knee Down
Also Check : What Causes Heartburn Everyday
Also Check : What Do Early Pregnancy Cramps Feel Like
Also Check : Why is Laparoscopic Surgery Done
Also Check : All You Need To Know About Cervical Disorder
Also Check : Do Brain Tumors Cause Headaches
Also Check : How many Kidney Transplant can a Person have
Also Check : What are the warning signs of thyroid problems
Also Check : Best Antibiotics for Stomach Infection
Also Check : How Long Does Stomach Virus Last
Also Check : How much does a kidney transplant cost in India
Also Check : Can issues with the digestive system turn serious
Also Check : How Does Lung cancer affect the lungs
Also Check : How to Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Immediately
Also Check : Can Diabetes Be Reversed
Also Check : How Does Stress Affect the Digestive System
Also Read: Different Types of Skin Diseases
Also Read : How Long to Recover From Hernia Surgery
Also Read : What Causes Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Also Read: What are the Types of Lung Diseases
Also Read: What are Mental Health Fun Facts
Also Read: What Causes Protein in Urine Mean
Also Read: How does alcohol affect Blood Pressure
Also Read : Can you Live a normal Life After Spinal Fusion
Also Read: Best Treatments for Stomach Cancer
Also Read: What is the treatment for hole in heart