Get in touch
Is itching a sign of Liver Problems 2023 Updated
Mild or infrequent instances of itching are typically no reason for stress or concern. However, regular or chronic Itchy can sometimes be a symptom of a more serious underlying condition, such as liver disease or diabetes. This requires prompt medical attention if symptoms are severe and causing discomfort. You can consult a gastroenterologist if liver issues cause consistent itching. However, itching is not experienced by everyone who has liver disease, and the particular reasons for this itching are still unclear. Furthermore, this blog will help you understand what causes itching in liver illness, other indications of the diseased liver, and why you should visit a doctor.
Why causes itching in Liver diseases?
Although medical researchers have yet to find a specific component responsible for itching in liver illness, it may result from a mix of variables. Here are some of the factors that may cause itching due to liver illnesses:
- Bile salts – If you have liver illness, you may have increased levels of bile salt collecting under your skin, causing itching. Not everyone with high bile salt levels feels itchy, and some people are itchy while having a normal bile salt level.
- Histamine – Some persons who suffer from itching have increased histamine levels. However, anti-allergy medicines are seldom successful in curing it.
- Serotonin – Serotonin has been shown to alter itching sensation. That may be why selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) can help people control itching.
- Female sex hormones – Itching might become more severe during pregnancy or hormone replacement medication.
- Lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) and autotoxin (an enzyme forming LPA) – LPA impact a variety of cellular activities. LPA levels may be increased in those who suffer from itching or have liver illness.
What could be another possible cause of itching?
There could be various possible causes of itching other than liver disease. These other reasons for skin itching, also known as pruritus, are typically harmless. They are frequently associated with temporary issues, such as dry skin or an insect bite. The following are some possible causes of itchy skin, which includes:
- atopic eczema
- dry skin
- heat rash
- Irritating chemicals, cosmetics
Does itching indicate a development or prognosis of liver disease?
Itching is occasionally associated with liver failure. However, itching can occur early in liver disease, before you even realize you have it. Pruritus (itchy skin) can arise at any stage of liver disease. This symptom alone indicates nothing about liver disease’s severity, progression, or prognosis.
That doesn’t mean it isn’t a major issue. Itching that continues can contribute to:
- reduced quality of life
What are the common indications of liver disease?
Liver illness does not usually indicate any visible signs and symptoms. If you do have liver disease, you may notice the following signs and symptoms:
- Yellow eyes – Yellow eyes are the most definite indicator of liver illness. The liver normally breaks down bile to remove it from the body, but when the liver is suffering, bile can build up, which may cause jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eye whites). Some causes of jaundice include viral infections, gallstones, toxic medication or medicine reactions, liver illness, and diseases that induce excessive red blood cell breakdown.
- Fatigue & tiredness – The symptom is one of the most common and often experienced symptoms that suggest liver damage or failure. This experience of extreme exhaustion and fatigue occurs not only physically but also mentally. Though fatigue is a symptom associated with liver impairment, the illness may even be experienced in numerous conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and thyroid.
- Bruising – Protein is important in the body since it aids in blood clotting after an injury. It doesn’t produce enough protein for blood clotting unless the liver is injured. You will bleed and bruise easily. Aside from liver disease, rheumatoid arthritis can also cause bruising.
- Loss of Appetite – A loss of appetite is another typical symptom associated with liver disease. In the case of hepatitis and a liver illness, stomach pain is frequently the first symptom to develop. You may also have stomach pain in addition to a loss of appetite.
- Swelling the legs /and ankle – Due to the liver’s inability to function properly, liver illness can cause foot and ankle swelling. This causes swelling by collecting fluid in your legs and feet. If you are experiencing swollen leg and ankle problems, you can consult a liver disease specialist for accurate diagnosis and treatment.
- Dark urine color – Dark urine (orange, brown, orange and yellow, or cola-colored) and light-colored stools (lighter than normal) combined with a variety of possibly fatal liver diseases. This may include Liver Cancer, Cirrhosis, Hepatitis (A, B, C, D, & E), Bile Duct Obstruction, and Alcoholic Liver Disease.
Ignoring all these symptoms mentioned above can be life-threatening as the early diagnosis is the best approach to ineffective treatment. You can consult a liver disease specialist for managing or treating such symptoms.
When should you see a doctor?
A variety of factors can cause itching caused by liver disease. Severe itching can cause various other problems, so it’s critical to consult your doctor for a diagnosis and treatment. If you have liver disease, see your doctor if you notice any new or worsening symptoms. This includes frequent itchiness. While it may not indicate anything about illness progression or prognosis, you won’t know for sure without a full examination. Tell your doctor if you’re having difficulties sleeping or if the itching harms your quality of life.
How to get help – Credihealth can help you find the best gastroenterologist in Hyderabad for liver illness treatment. On Credihealth, you may discover the finest hospital or doctor for liver disease treatment based on information such as admission fee and OPD hours, facilities, and treatment option availability. The healthcare portal allows you to book appointments with hospitals and doctors, purchase drugs online, schedule lab tests, and hire a home attendant.
Credihealth offers teleconsultations, expert advice, second opinions, and estimated treatment costs in a single click to make your life easier. Questions concerning healthcare services can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or called in at 8010-994-994.
Also Check :Which Doctor to Consult for Stomach Pain
Also Read: Which Doctor to Consult for Mouth Ulcer
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Hair Fall
Also Check: Which Doctor to consult for Back Pain
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Headache
Also Check : Which Doctor to consult for Foreskin Problem
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Burning Feet
Also Check : Which Doctor to Consult for Hernia
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Urinary problems
Also Check: Which doctor to consult for Breast Pain
Also Check : Which doctor to consult for Breathing Problems
Also Check : Which Doctor to consult for Breast Discharge
Also Check : What Foods to Eat to Cure Fatty Liver
Also Check : How to Reduce Muscle Pain in Legs
Also Check : How to Get Rid of Constipation Fast at Home
Also Check : Stroke vs. Heart Attack What’s the Difference
Also Check : Is Back Pain a Symptom of Pregnancy
Also Check : How Much Pain During Normal Delivery
Also Check : What Are the First Signs of Kidney Stones
Also Check : Which type of Delivery is Best
Also Check : What Can cause Lower Back Pain in Women
Also Check: How Long Does Facial Plastic Surgery Last
Also Check : What are the most common causes of headaches?
Also Check : What are the Symptoms of Brain Tumor?
Also Check : Is Normal Delivery Possible with cord Around Neck
Also Check : What Could be the Complications during childbirth?
Also Check : What Causes Lower Abdominal Pain in Females
Also Check: How Stem Cells used in Treatment of Cancer
Also Check : How Can I Solve my Sleeping Problem
Also Check : What Does a Heart Attack Feel Like
Also Check: How Painful is Normal Delivery
Also Check : What Are the Stages of Cancer
Also Check : Are Breast Cancer Lumps Painful
Also Check : Different Types of Brain Tumors
Also Check : What is hernia disease? is Hernia Dangerous
Also Check :What Foods Help in Sleeping
Also Check : Best Food For Digestion Problems
Also Check : Root Canal vs Tooth Extraction Which is Better
Also Check : How to relieve Chest pain due to Stress
Also Check : How Long Does a Spinal Fusion Surgery Take
Also Check: Best Food for Constipation
Also Check : What are the common complications of kidney stones?
Also Check : Can Back Pain Indicate Kidney Stone
Also Check : What are the Signs of Gallbladder Cancer
Also Check : What are the Breastfeeding Effects of women
Also Check : What Complications During Pregnancy
Also Check : What Condition Paralysis Causes
Also Check : What Level of Eosinophils Indicate Cancer
Also Check : Different Types of Blood Cancer Treatments
Also Check : What is Difference Between Kidney Pain vs Back Pain
Also Check : How many people die from Heart Disease
Also Check : What Causes Sleep Paralysis
Also Check : Can Gastritis Cause Shortness of Breath
Also Check : How to Deal With mental Health During Pregnancy
Also Check : What type of headache indicates a Brain Tumor?
Also Check : What Causes Headaches During Pregnancy
Also Check : How to Diagnose Kidney Stones
Also Check : Why am i Having Trouble Sleeping
Also check : How does cough affect the condition of Lung Cancer
Also Check : What are the Signs of Infertility in Women
Also Check : What to Eat with Upset Stomach
Also Check : How to Prevent yourself from having Paralysis
Also Check : What are common Knee Injuries
Also Check : What to Expect after Chemotherapy for Lung Cancer
Also Check : How to Reduce Back Pain
Also Check : What Can Cause Lower Back Pain in a Woman
Also Check : Most Common Gynecological Cancer
Also Check : How to Stop Frequent Urination
Also Check : What are Side Effects of Plastic Surgery
Also Check : What is the Treatment for Lung Cancer
Also Check : Advanced treatment options for Hernia Repair
Also Check : What is the Best Medicine for Lower Back Pain
Also Check : What Food is Good for Brain Tumor Patients
Also Check : What are Common Sciatica Pain Causes
Also check : Can Dehydration Cause High Blood Pressure
Also Check : What is Constipation? What Causes Constipation
Also Check : Exercises For Lower Back Pain
Also Check : How to Get rid of Leg Pain Immediately
Also Check : Is Lower Back Pain Early Sign of Pregnancy
Also Check : What can Cause Knee Pain Without Injury
Also Check : What to Eat when you have no Appetite
Also Check : What to take for Diarrhea
Also Check: Uterine Fibroids During Pregnancy
Also Check : What Causes Swollen Legs From the Knee Down
Also Check : What Causes Heartburn Everyday
Also Check : What Do Early Pregnancy Cramps Feel Like
Also Check : Why is Laparoscopic Surgery Done
Also Check : All You Need To Know About Cervical Disorder
Also Check : Do Brain Tumors Cause Headaches
Also Check : How many Kidney Transplant can a Person have
Also Check : What are the warning signs of thyroid problems
Also Check : Best Antibiotics for Stomach Infection
Also Check : How Long Does Stomach Virus Last
Also Check : How much does a kidney transplant cost in India
Also Check : Can issues with the digestive system turn serious
Also Check : How Does Lung cancer affect the lungs
Also Check : How to Reduce Blood Sugar Levels Immediately
Also Check : Can Diabetes Be Reversed
Also Check : How Does Stress Affect the Digestive System
Also Read: Different Types of Skin Diseases
Also Read : How Long to Recover From Hernia Surgery
Also Read : What Causes Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Also Read: What are the Types of Lung Diseases
Also Read: What are Mental Health Fun Facts
Also Read: What Causes Protein in Urine Mean
Also Read: How does alcohol affect Blood Pressure
Also Read : Can you Live a normal Life After Spinal Fusion
Also Read: Best Treatments for Stomach Cancer
Also Read: What is the treatment for hole in heart
Also Read: What is the Function of the Digestive System
Also Read : What Can you eat After Gallbladder Surgery
Also Read : How to Get pregnant with Blocked Fallopian Tubes
Also Read: How Much urine can a bladder hold
Also Read : Why am i Bleeding 2 Weeks After my Last Period
Also Read : What Does Blood in the Urine Indicate
Also Read : Is Vomiting a symptom of Covid in Child
Also Read : Is Stomach Infection a Big problem
Also Read : What are the Early Signs of Heart Failure
Also Read: Will Drinking Water Reduce Protein in Urine
Also Read : How to Treat Stomach Infection
Also Read : Most common cause of Acute Kidney Injury
Also Read : How Long Do Antibiotics Affect Birth Control
Also Read: What is cervical spine pain
Also Read: How Does Pregnancy Affect your Hair
Also Read: What is the best drink to Lower Cholesterol
Also Read: When Does Implantation Bleeding Occur
Also Read: Does Diabetes Cause Erectile Dysfunction
Also Read: When Does Back Pain Start in Pregnancy
Also Read : Can Obesity be a Symptom of Heart Attack
Also Read: Why Does my Back hurt while Pregnant
Also Read: What to Expect after Spinal Fusion Surgery
Also Read : What is Cholesteatoma
Also Read: How to Get Rid of Urinary Tract Infection
Also Read: How Long Does Morphine Stay in Your Urine
Also Read: How Long Can you Live on Dialysis
Also Read: What Causes Lower Back Pain in Females
Also Read: What are The Types of Sleep Disorders
Also Read: How Do you Stop your Urine From Smelling