Dance is art, entertainment and sport at the same time. It expresses emotions through a series of ordered movements or choreographies. To learn to dance, you have to know these movements (gestures, steps, figures…). It is a difficult exercise, especially for beginners. However, there are several techniques that allow you to master your progress. Love to dance, but would like to make progress in developing your dancing skills at home? Worry no more!
We do not always have the means to participate in a dance class, for various reasons:
- You don’t have any Hip Hop dance classes near you
- Dance classes near you are not for you
- You don’t have enough money to pay them
- You don’t have time right now to go to dance class regularly
- You don’t feel comfortable attending a class when you are just starting out
- You want to try Hip Hop dancing at home before investing in classes
I have good news: just because you can’t make it to a class or a workshop, doesn’t mean you can’t dance and keep training to become a better dancer! You can learn to dance at home! We will see how to do it easily and efficiently.
Have confidence in yourself
Stress and fear are part of everyday life. For a beginner, the fear of being ridiculed in front of other learners is often very strong.
An experienced dancer can be stressed out as a competition approaches. Fear of failing or getting hurt is a normal reaction, but it is dangerous if left unchecked. Stress, fear and negative thoughts inhibit good reflexes and learning skills.
You must therefore have confidence in yourself. Dark thoughts must give way to positive thoughts. However, to be a positive person you need to have good self-esteem.
How to train well at home
Training at home is necessary if you want to become a better dancer. Even if you go to your dance class once a week, it won’t be enough to make you progress as well as if you practice at your house next door.
Whether you’ve never taken a class or want to train at home as a complement to your classes, you need to learn how to train well at home.
The only way to become a good dancer is to repeat the same movements over and over again until it becomes natural and for that you have to work and practice as often as possible.
The problem with training at home is that you don’t know where to start, you don’t have room to dance, and you don’t know how to organize your dance session…
But that’s it! I explain everything to you so that you train like a pro, from home!
Decide which style of dance you want to learn
- This is a step that you can skip if you are already taking lessons and know what style of dance you prefer.
- But it’s always good to practice dancing styles other than your favourite style so stick with us anyway!
- New Style? Break? Voguing? Popping? There are so many choices you don’t know which one to choose!
Think about what you would like to learn
- The goal of learning to dance is still to learn something you like!
- So take a few minutes to think about which style of dancing appeals to you the most.
- Start with your desires, your preferences and then make your choice.
- Do you want to learn an acrobatic dance? The Break is here for you.
- Do you like funk music? So Locking or Popping seems to be for you.
- Do you like House and Clubbing music? No need to think any longer, House Dance is calling you.
- Do you like freestyle? Hip Hop New Style may be of interest to you.
There is bound to be a dance style that suits you! You have to find your happiness in all of this. Do some research on dancing? It is always difficult to come to understand a style of dance when you have never practiced it and no one has ever explained it to you. The best way to see things more clearly is to do some quick research.
To help you make up your mind, learn about each style of dance to understand their uniqueness. Learn about the basic steps of each dance style, what style of music is appropriate for them, etc. This way, you will be able to better visualize each dance and you can finally make your choice!
Do your dance training in a room where you have space
We rarely have a dance hall with a beautiful parquet floor and beautiful mirrors at home. So you have to make do with what you have.
Find a room where you can dance
- You need to find a room where you can dance with as much space as possible without disturbing the rest of your family.
- It’s up to you, whether it’s your bedroom, the living room, the garage. Do according to what you have at home.
- Do not hesitate to make room by pushing the furniture so as not to bump into yourself.
- You need to have as much room as possible to be free to make big movements.
- You also need a space where you do not interfere with anyone because you will have to put on some loud music.
Your mother will quickly be fed up with your music which will repeat itself over and over while you learn a choreography… To avoid any family conflict, put yourself in a room where your gene as little as possible.
And if you’re Breaking, you need a lot of space and you also need a floor where you can throw yourself on the ground without hurting yourself too much. Buy knee pads, and even a mat to avoid injuring yourself during your workouts.
Invested in a mirror
- The mirror will become your best friend. You will spend all your time with him during your dance sessions.
- Choose one large enough so you can see yourself in full.
- He is there to help and guide you. Without it, you have no way of knowing what your moves are like.
- He will tactfully tell you when your moves are ugly and you need to repeat yourself!
- On the other hand, he will be less tactful when he makes you understand that you have gained a few pounds … But he does that only for your good.
Schedule your dance training
The difficulty when you learn to dance at home is that you procrastinate! You can do it anytime you want so you say “I have time I’ll do it tonight” and come in the evening… “oh I’m lazy, I’ll do it tomorrow” and so on!
- To avoid that, you have to schedule your dance sessions.
- Schedule which day you decide to train, for how long and how many times per week
- The best way to progress is to be organized.
- If you want to become a better dancer, you have to follow a few rules.
- Mark on your schedule: 1 hour of dance session on Wednesday and 1 hour 30 minutes of dance on Saturday.
- Do it on your own schedule. If you can train more than twice, do it. Practice as often as possible because becoming a better dancer takes time and a lot of practice.
- Even training 10 minutes a day and going over the basics is great and you are making progress!
- That’s why you have to learn to dance at home. You can train much harder and more often than going to a class.
- When you’ve done your program, you have to stick to it!
- Courage! We are there for you, if you need support, the Hip Hop Dance family will be there to support you.
In short, it’s up to you to decide what you want to work on. You are at home so you are free to work what you want! You can even try dance steps that you never had the courage to try in dance class. Have fun!
You have of course the right to change your mind and want to only do freestyle today because you feel inspired, but you will see that it is easier to schedule your sessions, otherwise you will be lost, you won’t know what to do and you will give up after 10 minutes.
Familiarize yourself with music
To learn to dance and master the choreography, you must first become familiar with the music. You must listen to the music, and familiarize your ears by soaking up the rhythm. For example, if you want to master the choreography of salsa, you have to constantly listen to this music. When we become familiar with music, all of our senses are awakened. The goal is to create (or wake up), and maintain the correlation between music and your body movements. You learn and memorize faster.
Discover free dance lessons in video
Dancing is both an artistic and a sporting activity. Letting yourself go to the rhythm of the music works your whole body in a way that makes it more toned. At the same time, dancing allows you to have fun and sculpt your figure. All forms of dance provide these different benefits. So, to help you learn to dance, this playlist will take you to the rhythm of waltz, rock, cha cha cha, samba, salsa, paso doble or tango. In addition to these ballroom dances, also learn the kuduro step or the sexy sway. Good viewing!
Learn to dance with video lessons
- Ah internet… what a magical creation! You can find anything you want easily, from home and very often for free!
- The internet has revolutionized the world and the way we learn.
- You can learn to cook as much as you can learn to dance!
- It is now possible to take a dance class from home, with a teacher who doesn’t even live in the same country as you, at a reduced price.
- And you have access to this infinite course! You can watch the video as many times as you want, pause; pay more attention to the details of the teacher’s movements.
- This is a good way to have a structured class if you are having trouble planning your dance session on your own.
- Whether it’s to learn techniques or choreography, the internet is full of video dance lessons.
You now have all the tools to start learning to dance at home!
You no longer have any excuse not to start learning to dance, or to train more often!
The excuses “I don’t have access to a dance class”, “I have no money”, “I don’t have time” and I go, are no longer part of your vocabulary.
You like to dance, don’t you? Otherwise you wouldn’t be here reading this article. Well, dance!
Make some space in your living room, schedule a 30 minute session, turn on the music and go!
Do not hesitate to tell us in the comments how you manage to dance at home. So which room in your house have you turned into a dance hall?
To go further, download the guide to be effective in your dance workouts just below.
To progress quickly and well, you will have time to work better and focus on your goals. You are not going to be afraid of making mistakes.
You will have time to ask him all kinds of questions in order to understand and assimilate the movements.
In this guide, I share with you my techniques for learning to dance from home and being effective in training even when there is no teacher to guide you.
I’ll explain how to organize your dance training schedule and everything you need to practice on your own.
Also Check :