Diarrhea is one of the most prevalent health problems that people confront daily. Often, stomach-related problems are loose movement, a side door trot, or diarrhea. Often it lasts less than a short period as it is a mild, temporary condition that can be dangerous. Symptoms of dysentery are unusually loose stools. The Medicine for loose motion was formulated to cure this digestive Problem. Most people pass out stool often with normal consistency. But the movement is loose, with the passable stool of loose consistency. The majority of these occur due to bacteria, viruses, and parasites. There are various medicines and natural remedies available for loose motion treatment. For the accurate diagnosis and treatment of severe symptoms of loose motion, you can consult a Gastrologist in Bangalore. Furthermore, this blog will take you through the Best tablet for loose motion and other treatment options.
What is Loose motion?
It is defined as frequent bowel movements of loose or watery stools with a frequency of more than 3-4 times a day. Loose motions or Diarrhea is a symptom, not a disease.
There are several ways to classify Diarrhea which include:
- Acute Diarrhea: The most common form lasting 1-2 days.
- Persistent Diarrhea: Usually lasts for several weeks – two to four weeks
- Chronic Diarrhea: Diarrhea that lasts longer than four weeks or comes and regularly goes over a long period
Usually, Diarrhea resolves on its own without intervention. If it does not improve and resolve completely, there is a risk for complications (dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, kidney failure, and organ damage).
Cause and symptoms –
There are various causes, including:
- Viral infections (rotavirus in children, viral gastroenteritis)
- Medicines related like antibiotics
- Bacterial and parasitic infections (mostly due to contaminated food and water)
- Digestive disorders (colitis, irritable bowel disease)
- Lactose and fructose intolerance (due to milk or other dairy products) The sign and symptoms include:
- Stomach Pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Body Aches
- Chills and fever in case of infections
Natural treatments for loose motion –
Most Diarrhea is mild and for a short duration and does not need a doctor’s attention. In loose motions, the gut’s microflora gets disturbed, so treatment must aim at maintaining gut microflora and killing the infection. You can treat the issue with the help of home remedies also.
Some natural remedies for loose motions include:
- Increase fluid intake – Take plenty of fluids to restore lost fluids and ORS to restore Electrolyte Imbalance.
- Take bland foods like the BRAT diet (banana, rice, applesauce, toast)
- Yogurt – It has good bacteria (probiotics), which keep the gut healthy. Probiotics fight the loose motion-causing bad bacteria.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – AVC is a natural antibiotic that helps destroy the bad organisms in the gut and relieves the irritated colon lining.
- Coconut Water – Coconut water helps in dehydration and contains electrolytes such as potassium and sodium, which restores the body’s electrolyte balance and increases blood circulation and also provides essential nutrients such as amino acids, fatty acids, vitamin C, magnesium, and enzymes that in turn boost stronger immunity.
- Ajwain Water – Its antiseptic properties kill the infection and relieve the gut lining.
- Ginger and lemon juice – It has antibacterial properties and high anti-inflammatory and acidic properties.
Medical intervention is needed if Loose Motions don’t slow down even after home remedies.
Medicines or tablets for loose motion –
In most cases, over-the-counter medication can help stop an occasional bout of Diarrhea – especially traveler’s Diarrhea, which may be caused by ingesting contaminated food or water while traveling. If you take pharmaceutical remedies for travelers’ Diarrhea, they may make you feel better sooner.
Over-the-counter medication options include
- Imodium (loperamide)
- Pepto-Bismol or Kao pectate (bismuth subsalicylate).
These are reasons to use on occasion But always consult a doctor before taking these medicines.
These drugs are easily available at any pharmaceutical shop.
- LOPERAMIDE DRUG –
This is considered the best tablet for loose motion. It is effective to treat sudden Diarrhea (including travelers’ Diarrhea). The medication helps by slowing the movement of the gut. This reduces the number of bowel movements while also making the feces less liquid. It also effectively treats ongoing Diarrhea in people with inflammatory bowel disease.
Loperamide treats only the symptoms, not the cause of the Diarrhea (such as infection). Treatment of other symptoms and the cause of the Diarrhea should be determined and treated accordingly. It is taken twice -thrice a day. It doesn’t have any significant side effects.There are many commercial names of the loperamide: DIARLOP, LOPERAMIDE CAPSULE, ENTRIL, IMOZOL, LOMIN, GRIP PLUS.
- PEPTO-BISMOL OR KAOPECTATE (BISMUTH SUBSALICYLATE) –
Pepto-primary Bismol’s active component is bismuth subsalicylate. Indigestion, diarrhea, heartburn, and acid reflux are all treated with this medication (nausea). It functions by shielding the lowest portion of your food pipe from stomach acid.The best tablet for loose motion also functions as a moderate antacid, reducing excess stomach acid and easing discomfort.
You can get Pepto-Bismol as tablets or a liquid to drink. You can only buy it from the pharmacy. This Medicine is also sold under the brand name PEPTI-CALM.
Most adults and adolescents over the age of 16 can use Pepto-Bismol, but it is not recommended for those who have:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding mothers
- Those having an allergic reaction to Pepto-Bismol, aspirin, or any other medicines in the past
- Allergy to amaranth or aspartame
- those suffering from phenylketonuria
It is available in two forms: liquid and tablet (dissolvable tablet). If you’re taking Pepto-Bismol for Diarrhea, drink plenty of fluids. Taking too much Pepto-Bismol can increase the risk of side effects.
Side effects may include feeling sick, confused, dizzy or tired, deafness, or ringing or buzzing in your ears.
Pepto-Bismol is unlikely to have any adverse effects, BUT one frequent side effect is your poop or your tongue turning black. This is risk-free. This occurs when little amounts of sulfur in your saliva and digestive system come into contact with bismuth, the Medicine’s active ingredient. They combine to create the dark material bismuth sulfide. Usually, this side effect goes away once you stop taking the medication.
After three days or after you’ve stopped taking Pepto-Bismol, consult your doctor or pharmacist if your tongue or poop is still black.
When to visit a doctor for loose motion or diarrhea – The rare incidence of diarrhea is often not a major reason for alarm.
Although not always. When you should visit a doctor if you have severe symptoms of loose motion:
- High fever (temperature more than 101 F or 38.3 C).
- Moderate or severe abdominal pain.
- Blood in the loose stool.
- Loose motions with serious underlying disorders like diabetes, heart disease, and AIDS.
- No improvement in frequency of stools after 48 hours
- Severe dehydration.
- Continuous vomiting prevents the intake of fluids orally.
- Acute diarrhea in pregnant women
It is very normal to have loose motions and usually resolve independently. In loose motion, the first thing that you should keep in mind is fluid intake and a BRAT diet. Multiple home remedies and over-the-counter drugs like loperamide are available, which can give you relief after 1-2 doses. Loperamide is taken with antibiotics, and symptomatic treatment is taken for infections. However, always consult a Gastrologist in Bangalore before taking any medicine for loose motion.