For students passing Tenth or XII, there is another option in the form of Home Science after Science, Commerce and Humanities stream. In terms of careers this option is not very much discussed between students and parents. The reason for this is some misconceptions, which are made up of students and parents due to lack of information about the opportunities available in the Home Science stream. In today’s column, read about the dimensions of the Home Science stream and its associated progress.
What is Home Science Stream
This is such a stream, which is misconstrued and is considered to be just for girls. Most parents consider education of girls as important, but they give more importance to the fact that girls are more skilled in managing the house and its functioning. In addition to the training of home-based education in home science, useful skills are also trained in many types of jobs. So it is not right to say that this stream is only useful for girls. The benefits of training under this stream can also be enhanced by the boy’s development skills.
Home management, with a modernized and scientific approach to the welfare and supervision of home and family life, is essential in changing social conditions. The task of providing education and useful training to meet this need is done by Home Science. This is education focused on ‘better lifestyle’ and the core point of its concept is the creation of family ecosystem.
Topics of Home Science
The curriculum of this stream also includes topics of science and humanities. Due to this the study area of this stream is quite broad. These include Chemistry, Physics, Physiology, Biology, Hygiene, Economics, Rural Development, Child Development, Sociology and Family Relations, Community Living, Art, Food, Nutrition, Clothing, Textiles and Home Management.
After 10th is available
As a subject, Home Science is available at CBSE and in most state boards at the level of 11th and 12th standard. Look at the availability of this subject at the college level, it is being taught as a three year Bachelor Degree course in many universities of the country. A BA or B.Sc. degree can be achieved with this subject. Post Graduation in Home Science, apart from studying Master Degree in this subject, Post Graduation can be done in subjects like Fashion Designing, Dietitics, Counseling, Social Work, Development Studies, Interpretinishaship, Mass Communication and Catering Technology etc. Students of this subject also have the option of BEd.
Top five areas of home science
– Food and Nutrition ‘Resource Management
– Human Development ‘Fabric and Apparel Science
– Communications and Extensions
Apart from these areas, some other topics are also included in Home Science courses. Some of these are -Internpirinarieship, Family Life Education, Child Development, Textile Designing, Home Economics, Microbiology, Personality Development, Food Preservation and Fashion Designing.
– Diploma in Home Science ‘BSc (Home Science)’ BSc (Hons) Home Science
– BHSC ‘BSc (Hons) Food and Nutrition’ BSc (Hons) Human Development
– MSc (Home Science) PhD
– Analytical thinking ‘experimental and logical viewpoint’ scientific sense ‘- The ability to organize things – Aesthetic and creativity
– Effective communication skills
– Trending to do domestic affairs with discretion
– Balanced view
– merchydiser or designer in the field of textile
– Nutritionist or dietician in the hospital and food sector
– Monitoring of housekeeping work in tourist resort, restaurant and hotel
– Functioning of cantering facilities in educational or working institutes
– Supervision of construction and production of food products
– Resource Management
– Family Counselor
– Social work and human development
– Research and teaching work
– Self employment in the field of textile, food, baking and confectionery
– Delhi University, Delhi
– University of Bombay, Mumbai
– Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad
– Allahabad Agricultural Institute, Allahabad
– Chandrasekhar Azad University of Agriculture and Technology, Kanpur
– University of Calcutta, Kolkata
– Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner
– Rajendra Agricultural University, Pusa
– Narendra Dev university of Agriculture and technology, Faizabad
– Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pant Nagar
– Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur
– CSK Himachal Pradesh Agricultural University, Palampur
Also Read :