Did you know that people who undergo a liver transplant have 86 percent chances of survival after one year and 78 percent after three years?
India is privileged to have top NABH & JCI accredited hospitals with a pool of experienced liver transplant specialists. Before diving into a discussion about liver transplant cost, let us know a few terminologies about this procedure, possibilities of a liver failure, types of donors and transplants, how the surgical procedure is done.
What is liver transplant?
A liver transplant is a complex, life-saving surgical process where a damaged liver is replaced with a healthy donated liver. The causes of a liver failure are listed below:
- Alcoholic liver
- Liver cancer
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver
- Liver cirrhosis: Overconsumption of alcohol, viral hepatitis B, C lead to scarring and liver failure.
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Hemochromatosis: Excessive iron content in the body
- Wilson’s disease: Too much copper in the organs.
Types of Donors for Liver transplantation:
Deceased Donor: When a person dies, then liver transplantation takes place from a deceased body to a needy one. Most of the transplantation is done from a non-living donor, especially for adult recipients.
Living Donor: A living donor should be compatible with the needy one in terms of blood type, body size and have no serious medical ailment.
Types of Liver Transplant Procedures:
- Orthotopic Transplantation: In this process, a damaged liver is replaced with a healthy liver.
- Split Donation: The deceased donor liver is split into left and right lobe that can be useful for two persons at a time – one adult and one child.
How Liver Transplantation is done
- The transplantation usually takes five to six hours. The patient is given an anesthesia before the surgery takes place and a tube is inserted into the patient’s mouth till windpipe to breathe.
- Further, a Y-shaped incision is made in the abdomen by the surgeon to replace the diseased liver with a healthy one. It is then attached to blood vessels and bile ducts. The incision is closed at the end of surgery.
Cost of Liver Transplant
The liver transplant cost in India varies from person to person due to medical conditions and services availed in the hospitals.
- For government hospitals, it costs around 5-10L INR.
- For private hospitals, the cost ranges from 18-24L INR.
The above-mentioned cost includes the cost of the donor’s evaluation test and facilities availed.
Also Read :